Your neck is extremely flexible and holds the weight of your head, so it can be very vulnerable to injuries and conditions that cause pain and restrict motion. Neck pain causes include:
Neck Pain Causes:
- Worn Joints. Just like every other joint in your body, your neck joints have a tendency to wear down with age. Osteoarthritis causes the cartilage between your vertebrae to deteriorate and your body forms bone spurs that affect joint motion and cause pain.
- Muscle Strains. Too many hours spent hunched over a smartphone or computer can cause muscle strains due to overuse. Even minor things, such as reading in bed or gritting your teeth can strain the neck muscles and induce neck pain.
- Nerve Compression. Herniated discs or bone spurs in the vertebrae of your neck can press on the nerves that branch out from the spinal cord. This can cause extreme discomfort and unshakable neck pain
- Injuries. Rear-end auto collisions often result in whiplash injury, which occurs when the head is jerked backward and then forward at a high speed, straining the soft tissues in the neck.
- Diseases. Specific diseases, such as meningitis, rheumatoid arthritis or cancer can often induce neck pain.
When Should I See A Doctor For My Neck Pain?
Ignoring the pain or masking it with medications does not solve the problem. If the problem continues, you can often induce a more serious problem. Neck pain itself can sometimes be a symptom of a more serious problem. You should speak to a Chicagoland Medical professional if your neck pain is accompanied by numbness or weakness in your hands and arms, or if you have any shooting pains in your shoulder or down your arm.
How Can Chicagoland Medical Help My Neck Pain?
At Chicagoland Medical, our trained professionals understand that neck pain can be frustrating and just down right painful. We want to work with you individually to discuss what your goals are and find out where exactly your pain is coming from so that we can find a treatment option that’s right for you. We offer various non-invasive treatment options that can help you to relieve your pain and start getting back to your normal self. Call Chicagoland Medical today to see what we can do to help your neck pain!