Platelet Rich Plasma Therapy
Platelet rich plasma therapy is an injection procedure where platelet rich plasma (PRP) is used for therapeutic effects in medicine. Platelet Rich Plasma Therapy is a relatively old procedure that is used in the fields of dermatology, dentistry and orthopedics.
Benefits of Platelet Rich Plasma Therapy
In occurrence of any injury to soft tissue, the first response body gives is to deliver platelet cells to the injured soft tissues. Platelets are enriched with growth and healing factors that will initiate repair and assistance of stem cells.
- PRP injection is prepared by taking a sample of blood from the injured. The sample is then placed in a centrifuge and a process follows that separates the platelets from other components in the blood.
- Platelet Rich Plasma contains several growth factors and cytokines that can stimulate healing of soft tissues. The super concentrated platelets will help in accelerating the healing process.
- In the dermatology field, Platelet Rich Plasma Therapy uses alpha granules of platelets in autologous way. It is used for face rejuvenation, wound healing and so on. PRP is used in cosmetic enhancements for smoothing lines, wrinkles and improving skin texture.
- Platelet Rich Plasma Therapy has many clinical applications including nerve injury, colorectal surgery and cardiac muscle injury.
- PRP therapy can be used to treat chronic tendon injuries, especially tennis elbow which is a very common injury on the outside of the elbow. It can also be used for bone repair and rejuvenation.
- PRP therapy is extensively used for treatment of acute sports injury like ligament and muscle injuries, pulled hamstring muscles in thigh and knee sprains.
- PRP therapy can be used as a healing measure after the surgery for some injuries.
- PRP therapy is also used in the treatment of osteoarthritis where PRP is directly injected into the affected joint that results in reduced pain in the knee, improved joint function and possibly slows down the damage of cartilage.
- PRP therapy is used for promoting hair growth. The procedure involves PRP being injected into the scalp and the growth factors in the blood initiate repair which stimulates natural growth of hair.
- PRP in combination with other treatments has proven to be effective in promoting clinical signs of periodontal regeneration in case of intrabony defects.
- The PRP therapy procedure is a non- surgical one and typically takes few hours including preparation, injection and recovery.
- PRP therapy does not include risks of general anesthesia, hospital stay or prolonged recovery.
- Since the goal of PRP therapy is to resolve the pain through a process of healing, the procedure could have lasting results. Initial improvement may be seen in few weeks, with progress in upcoming weeks.
- MRI and ultrasound images have proven the healing results of PRP therapy through definitive tissue repair.
- Platelet Rich Plasma therapy is a non-invasive alternative to surgery and uses patient’s own plasma to stimulate the healing process. The results are lasting and support long-term healing of injury rather than quick fix temporary relief from the symptoms.